Motihari is a city in northwestern Bihar. To the north of Motihari is Nepal and the city is about 150 km away from the state capital Patna. In the year 1977, Champaran district of Bihar was divided into two parts, one was called East Champaran (Purvi Champaran) and the other was West Champaran (Paschimi Champaran). Motihari became the headquarter of East Champaran district.
Motihari is lined with various types of private schools, government schools, colleges and other educational institutions. Most of the colleges in this city are affiliated to B.R. Ambedkar Bihar University. After the opening of Motihari Engineering College and Mahatma Gandhi Central University, the education sector has received a new direction.
This city is mainly famous for two things, the first is the Satyagraha movement by Mahatma Gandhi and the second is the beautiful Motijheel in the middle of the city.
Visiting Places nearby Motihari
Talking about visiting places, you will get a lot to options in the city and around the city.
- Gandhi Maidan: It is a very sprawling ground, which is close to the city court. Be it political rally or any other grand event, this ground is always the first choice.
- Motijheel: It is a beautiful lake situated in the center of the city which divides the city in 2 parts.
- Narega Park: A plesant and charming place to enjoy with friends and family.
- Gandhi Sangrahalaya: The establishment stone of this Gandhi commemoration pillar was laid on June 10, 1972 by the then Governor, Mr. D.K.Barooch. This remembrance pillar was designed by the popular craftsman of Shantiniketan Mr. Nand lal Bose to honor the memory of Champaran Satyagah of Mahatma Gandhi who initially raised voice against the outrages of the British Indigo grower against helpless workers of Champaran.
- Kesariya Bodh Stup: Kesariya Stupa is a Buddhist stupa in Kesariya, situated at 110 kilometers from Patna, in the East Champaran region of Bihar, India. In history, Kesaria was under the rule of the The Licchavis and The Mauryas . Kesariya Stupa has a perimeter around 400 feet and height around 104 feet. The stupa is supposed to be the tallest and the biggest Buddhist stupa in the world. It was founded in 1998 through excavation by the Archeological Survey of India.
- Areraj Shiv Mandir: Areraj is a small town of North Bihar which is located 28 KM from Motihari. The renowned Someshwar Nath Temple draws in lakhs of pilgrims from different corners of Bihar on the event of Shrawani Mela (July-August). Arerajis the Headquarter of Areraj Subdivision.
- Ashoka Pillar (Ashoka Astambh): Lauria Nandangarh, or Lauriya Navandgarh, is a city or town around 14 km from Narkatiaganj and 28 km from Bettiah in West Champaran region of Bihar state in northern India. It is located close to the banks of the Budhi Gandak River. Lauriya Nandangarh is a historical place which comes under West Champaran district of Bihar.
Culture and Cuisines
East Champaran offers a variety of foods. Like each rich culture, East Champaran revels in the delight of its celebrations. The celebrated Chhath Puja is the fundamental Hindu celebration of East Champaran, devoted to Sun God. Travelers can visit to Motihari around Makar Sankranti, Holi and Durga Puja, which are commended in the region with much confidence and excitement. The city is known for its tasty sweets, for example, chhena murki, khaja, malpua, khurma, thekua, tilkut and murabba.
How to reach Motihari?
Motihari is one of the renowned urban communities of Bihar. In the event that you need to reach here from any side of Bihar, it is extremely simple for you. Coincidentally, there is no rail route from capital city Patna to Motihari. You need to come to Motihari by road, NH-27 associates Motihari to Patna, from which you can arrive at Motihari from Patna in 4 hours.
Air Route to Motihari
The nearest air terminal to Motihari is in Patna, the capital of Bihar, which is around 150 kilometers away. There are day by day trips to Patna from metro cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow, Bangalore, Chennai.
Rail route to Motihari
Numerous superfast and express trains from major cities like New Delhi and Mumbai go through Motihari. A few trains run consistently and a few trains two or three days in a week. Few trains associating New Delhi to Motihari are as per the following -
- SaptKranti Superfast (12557/ 12558)
- Champaran Hamsafar Exp
- Sadbhawna Exp
- PBR Motihari Exp
- MFP Garibrath